Do you love Sterling Silver as much as we do? We are obsessed with its brilliant shine, versatile look and just straight-up glamour! Whether you like timeless classic pieces or you are all about keeping up with the hottest trends, we're just as wild about stunning accessories as you are.
While buying beautiful jewelry is exciting, nothing ruins the mood more than when your beautiful piece of jewelry begins to tarnish. Most of us dread the cleaning process and fear that our silver is forever ruined.
Fear not jewelry lovers! Sterling silver care can be easy, quick, and convenient. You just need to know what to do. With the right tips, your jewelry will look like new again! Here are our top tips:
1. Know your Sterling Silver 411!
If your silver is .950 or less they will need constant polishing. If it has a rating of f .925, the material is sturdier and doesn't need as much cleaning. Most of our silver.925 sterling silver and will require a little less work than the silver you may have purchased elsewhere. The other type of silver we use is Sterlium Silver which never tarnishes.
If you're totally unsure or there is no label in view, check with your jeweler (sadly, there is a lot of fake jewelry out there).
Remember, with proper care and knowledge of your jewelry, your piece can last a lifetime. It's best to be absolutely sure you're getting REAL and REPUTABLE products.
2.Silver Loves to be dry
Here is a fun and true fact: Pure water by itself doesn't damage sterling silver, but most of the water that we are exposed to every day is not purified. Chemicals and contaminants in the water can result in tarnished and dull looking silver. iI's best to know what's what when it comes to water.
- The Shower: It's never a great idea to shower with your jewelry on, but once in a while isn't going to do any lasting damage. Just make sure to dry it after.
- Swimming Pools: Take your silver off! Chlorine is a harsh chemical, so if you forget to remove your silver jewelry before hopping in, make sure to rinse and clean it afterward to avoid tarnishing.
- Hot Tubs: Even worse than the swimming pool! There is even more chlorine in the hot tub and the heat can accelerate the chemical reaction.
- Hot Springs: The sulfur in natural hot springs is your bright and shiny jewelry’s enemy! Unless you're going for that "dark oxidized" look, avoid wearing your jewelry in the hot tub.
- FYI: Chemicals found in lotions and perfumes can also cause your jewelry to tarnish. Apply them first, let them dry, and then put your jewelry on. This alone can make a HUGE difference in your silver's brilliant shine.
2. Proper Storage
If you leave a fancy car out in the rain, what happens? It gets dirty! The similar principle applies to sterling silver care. You need appropriate storage for your stunning pieces and you need to be diligent about maintenance.
Air exposure can wreak havoc by tarnishing your delicate silver. Don't just leave it lying on your nightstand or in an open jewelry chest and don't just leave it in your purse or drawer!
It's best to store silver in individual, air-tight bags with anti-tarnish properties or in jewelry cases/boxes that are made with anti-tarnish fabric. Air tight bags keep air exposure out, and keep the shininess and brilliance of you jewelry intact.
Unclasp and unhook the jewelry to avoid potential scratching. Do NOT bunch several pieces in the same bag to save time or space. This can create tangling, scratching, tarnish, and that is exactly what we are trying to avoid here!
For additional preventative efforts, silica gel packets provide anti-tarnish protection. Throw one in your jewelry box for extra protections
Finally, if you are traveling with your jewelry (because we know you want to look amazing!), be sure to use a special case for protection! The last issue you want to deal with on vacation is scratched-up, tarnished jewelry, right? To have a look at our Anti-tarnish travel case click Here
4. Know When to Take Off Your Jewelry
Yes, we know how much you love your gorgeous ring or bracelet. We know it can be hard to take those babies on and off again. It's critical to take your jewelry off and here's why.
Strong chemicals, sulfur, sweat and perspiration, chlorine, and harsh sunlight can tarnish and corrode the brilliant shine you love in your silver.
Don't take your chances. Preventative care is significantly easier than dealing with damaged jewelry!
It is optimal to remove jewelry during the following times:
- Household chores, such as dishes, laundry, and when using cleaning supplies
- When exercising, at the gym, or playing contact sports
- When showering or bathing
- Swimming, hot tubs, or saunas
- Very hot places (such as when lying out at the beach or pool)
- When getting ready (i.e: putting on lotion, makeup, hair products)
- Preparing, cooking, or eating foods that contain sulfur (this includes eggs and mayonnaise).
- Outside chores or tasks, such as gardening
Preventative care is ALWAYS easier than aftercare!
5. Polish it!
Silver is delicate, and, despite our best efforts, it can still get dirty. Fortunately, sterling silver care can be as easy as a fast rubdown.
To do this, use a simple microfiber or special jewelry cloth (not paper towels or toilet paper) to clean your goods. To see our microfiber cleaning/polishing cloth click HERE
Focus on maintaining long up-and-down strokes to clean the jewelry. Be sure to use different parts of the cloth to avoid spreading any tarnish. Do not use circular motions here, as it can actually make the tarnish or dirt worse. Be sure to avoid polishing any part of the jewelry that is intentionally oxidized.
For more complex or tight, detailed areas, go in with a Q-tip. It'll get into every nook and cranny you need.
Super Easy! Right?!